We are proud members of SMART (Secondary Materials And Recycled Textiles) and members of CTR (Council for Textile Recycling) and actively participate in their organizations to establish and promote a fair and rigorous code of conduct that promotes transparency and responsible bin practices to protect consumers and non-profit organizations throughout our partnered states.
How does clothing recycling help the environment?
National clothing recycling efforts divert nearly 4 billion pounds each year of used clothing and other textile waste. This however only accounts for approximately 15% of all PCTW (Post Consumer Textile Waste) leaving 85% in our landfills. Recycling these textiles has many benefits including carbon footprint reduction, reduced energy consumption and clean air preservation. Recycled clothing means taking care of our environment instead of filling our landfills.
We endorse and make every effort to uphold the SMART Collection Bin Code of Conduct.
SMART Collection Bin Code of Conduct
Bins should clearly identify the name and phone number of the company responsible for maintaining the bin, the sponsoring organization and the charity receiving the benefit.
Refrain from using deceptive or ambiguous labels/logos on bins that imply donations will go to support a particular cause if there is no underlying affiliation with a charity.
Obtain written consent from a property owner prior to placing or moving a collection bin on private property.
Service bins often to avoid accumulation of donated items or debris around the bins.
Provide the property owner with contact information and commit to responding to any complaints regarding box maintenance within 24 hours of receiving notification during regular business hours.
Comply with applicable local, state and municipality zoning and permitting requirements.